Saturday, May 25, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

3.5 Stars (out of four)

This was the last notable holdout for me for the 2012 Oscar season.  When I first heard Jennifer Lawrence got the Oscar for Best Actress, I first said, who?  Then I said, wasn't she on The Hunger Games?  Once I watched it, she was amazing, a revelation.  I first apologized, then wondered where she has been all this time and why is she doing (admittedly fun) schlock like The Hunger Games?  I also did not realize how beautiful she is.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with her performance and her Oscar was well deserved.  I hope to see more of her in the future.

The basic story is Bradley Cooper plays a man who has been released from a psychological prison because he assaulted a man who was sleeping with his wife.  He was undiagnosed bipolar, and he is now dealing with severe anger issues.  He meets Lawrence's character, Tiffany, who also has severe emotional issues and they click and clash.  He is trying to repair his relationship with his wife and she offers to help him if he will be her dance partner in a dance competition.  In the end, they fall in love.

What I really liked about this film, and I get this from the weirdest movies, is it made me melancholy.  The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is palpable and believable.  The only real issue I had with the film was that it took a while to get started.  But once it does, it is a great film of two damaged people who find each other, and it is not overly sentimental.  As well as taking its time, it has an odd tone to it that takes getting used to.  But still, a great film that made me care.  Recommended for anyone who likes a mature film with great characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment