Friday, February 12, 2016

The Fifth Element---A Reconsideration

3 Stars (out of four)



So, when I saw The Fifth Element for the first time when it came out in 1997, I absolutely hated it. Since then, the film, while maybe not being a true cult classic like director Luc Besson's other offerings like La Femme Nikita (made into another horrible movie called Point of No Return and not one, but two spinoff TV series-La Femme Nikita and Nikita) and Leon: The Professional), it has gained a cult status all its own. So now that I have had some distance from it, I thought I'd give it another try.

For those of you who don't know, The Fifth Element was written by Luc Besson since he was sixteen.  In the future, a planet of literal evil is coming to destroy the Earth in some kind of apocalyptic whatever.  The only thing standing in its way is former soldier Korben Dallas (Bruce Willis) and the ultimate weapon in the universe, Leeloo (Milla Jovovich), whose ultimate power seems to be looking hot while wearing the least amount of clothes possible (not that I'm complaining mind you).


See, Leeloo is the personification of the fifth element (with fire, earth, air and water being the other four, you see) and is the most powerful being in the universe as well as the least powerful because she needs love.  Enter Bruce Willis.  Anyway, they get sent to a pleasure planet cruise ship, hosted by intergalactic TV host Ruby Rhod (played by Chris Tucker in a wonderful over-top-performance that makes his character in Rush Hour seem like a narcoleptic zombie in comparison) to retrieve some stones that will kill the evil force and stave off the end of the world.

Got all that?  Good.  If not, it doesn't particularly matter.  Remember, this was a sixteen-year-old's labor of love for over 20 years.  Coherency isn't the point or goal here.  It is a series of breathtaking images punctuated by incredible kinetic motion, even in its quieter (not that many) moments.  A small sampling of the sumptuous visual overload:


If this seems like a fever dream from a coked-up, paranoid, insomniac who hasn't slept for four and a half days, I would say you're not far off from the feeling this film puts out.  It is a joy to behold, to immerse yourself in the visual feast of images here.  But as I said, I hated it when I saw it for the first time in 1997.  Why?  I guess it was because it was the exact opposite of what I was expecting.  Luc Besson, up to this point, was known for very ultraviolent, kinetic films, and while this has elements of his earlier works, it is also very funny when you don't expect it to be.  The humor is spot on and gives this very ridiculous film a likability akin to The Princess Bride or Galaxy Quest.  When I was younger with other expectations, this juxtaposition was jarring, but now I find it quite charming in a obtrusive, but easy to take way.  Indeed, the comedy in the movie is needed to cover up story flaws or when the pace begins to drag.

The actors are clearly having fun with these roles.  Bruce Willis toning down his tough-guy persona so much he barely speaks to Chris a Tucker am ping up his gerbil metabolism energy to record heights, everything is a surprise here.   Milla Jovovich, who made me fall in love with her in this movie, is actually pretty good.  She displays several startling moments of pathos, vulnerability and strength at different points of the film.  Her expressive eyes sell it, and is her secret weapon in just about every film she does.  Gary Oldman seems to be the only one who doesn't belong here.  He seems to be sleepwalking through the film in a phoned-in performance with a God-awful southern accent that keeps slipping at the most inopportune times.  I would have expected more from him as he has unfailingly impressed me with his ability to disappear into any role.

The direction and editing are also very quirky.  The movie feels like a roller coaster with hyper-kinetic motion, and a funky soundtrack that keeps you grooving to the action.  Besson uses well-composed groupings of people using close ups with a long lens.  This combination distorts people's faces, especially curves like noses, cheeks and chins.  He also directed his actors to be a tad off-kilter, not quite right ways of emoting and reacting.  All of these elements together give the movie a somewhat "off" feel which disorients you, and heightens the style of the film.  I personally loved the feel as it makes it, in the end, a little different and stands out on its own.

So that is why I reassessed my earlier distaste for the film and give it a fairly high ranking now.  When I was younger, I may have given this 1 star (based solely on Jovovich's wardrobe).  I get what other people see in it, and I agree with those opinions of this inspired lunacy.  It is a joy to watch and I would heartily recommend you throw yourself into it and go with the flow.  Don't think about it, just experience it.



No comments:

Post a Comment