Sunday, June 23, 2013

This Is The End

2.5 Stars (Out of four)

At first, I was mildly interested to see this. The previews were cute, and the idea of a humorous look at the Apocalypse was fun and original.  It reminded me of the incredibly funny book Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.  I also like Seth Rogen and his posse, of you will.  Many of their films are very funny.  But I was also worried that most of the good jokes were in the previews.  As I spoke to friends, the word of mouth was unanimously positive, so I decided to go see it.  My final thought on it is that the movie is not too bad.  But, as it was hyped by more and more people, my expectations were elevated and thus, the further the crash from the eventual disappointment.

Without spoiling anything, the story is about Seth Rogen and his co-star from The TV show Freaks and Geeks, Jay Baruchel, when they get together for a visit in LA.  Seth drags Jay to a party at James Franco's house where there is a who's who of young Hollywood attending, especially those in comedy.  The Apocalypse breaks out, hilarity ensues.  The movie also stars Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson (who steals every scene he's in, as usual), and Danny McBride.  Rhiannon, Channing Tatum, Emma Watson and several others make some very funny cameos.  Basically, the show is an excuse to get all this comedic talent together to riff on each other in unconnected vignettes that range from really stupid to gut-bustingly funny.  My favorite is a very boisterous argument between James Franco and Danny McBride over a magazine that stretches the bounds of decency and will have you rolling in the aisles.  My vote for the best sport of the whole movie is Channing Tatum.  I honestly couldn't believe what I saw.  To me,the funniest running gag is what Craig Robinson was wearing.  The movie's humor is very raw and many people will be turned off.  You have to be a good sport for this film.

The movie is extremely funny in parts, dumb in others, but the overarching problem with the flick is twofold.  The first is that there is too much topical humor.  In 10 years, will people care as much about the Lindsay Lohan drama?  Who knows, but it doesn't help the movie age.  The second is related to the first.  That is, you have to know the history of the Seth Rogen/Judd Apatow crew and the whole pot culture.  I have a feeling there was a lot of inside jokes that I was missing.  It is similar to Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, but in that movie, they let you in on the joke.  I kept feeling there was something I was missing and it was annoying me because I kept asking myself, "Is this it?  There must be something more."  That's never a good thing for your audience to be asking.  I also think they are trying too hard to make some jokes that are sort of hip, funny to only a few people.  So in the end, there are funny elements but is not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment