Friday, August 1, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy

3.5 Stars (out of four)

So, I was among the many, when Marvel announced they were doing Guardians of the Galaxy, immediately said..."Wha...?!?"  I never read the comic, and still won't, never heard of them and wasn't interested in the least of going to watch the film.  Well, I don't know who does Marvel's marketing, but I went from a "No way in hell," to, "Tentatively, that looks pretty good."  While I heard nothing but good stuff about it in the last few months, I still had very low expectations.  I mean, come on, a talking raccoon?

The movie is basically about a bunch of criminals who are trying to sell an artifact that is actually a jewel  from the Infinity Gauntlet, an immensely powerful glove (ask your geeky frien to explain it), and the adventures they have.  They don't necessarily like each other but agree to work together each for their own reasons.

The movie is sort of like watching a Monty Python movie.  You just gotta go where it takes you, and you have to put up with a little bit of anarchy along the way.  But that is the key to this movie's success as you don't know what will happen next.  It's unpredictability is what makes it a LOT of fun.  Each of the characters are likable in their own way, thieves with hearts of gold.  The best comparison I can make is to any of you who watched/liked Firefly/Serenity.  It has the same flavor, the same unexpected, and hilarious, asides, and ultimately the same sense of family Firefly had.  It sets it's irreverent tone with the opening song on the soundtrack Come and Get Your Love by Redbone.  The soundtrack itself is worth the price of admission with semi-forgotten songs from the late 70's and early 80's that are totally incongruous to what's going on.  All the elements come together in a fine brew of entertainment for anyone.  My only complaint is I've seen a lot of the scenes before, big battles, etc that just don't add anything new.  But overall, this is an enjoyable romp that I'm putting at the fourth best Marvel movie since they started putting them together in a cohesive whole.  (For the record, the top three best, in order, are Iron Man, The Winter Soldier and X-Men: First Class.  I don't care how much you liked The Avengers, it's not that good.  Besides, it's MY list.  I don't have to justify it). Go watch it.  You'll be glad you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment